|Image credit: maxkabakov / 123RF Stock Photo|
So I wanted to take the time to reflect on my last two years to see what went right and what went wrong. This will give me an idea of what I want and need to focus on in 2014 which I will do another post about my plans for 2014.
I'm sure I've stated this before, the last two years have been extremely challenging for me. Let's take a look at 2012.
What went right in 2012:
- I got out of a toxic relationship....best decision ever!
- I saved more money in that one year (by moving into a much cheaper apartment) than I had saved in all the years since moving to NY (in 2003)
- I flew for first time SOLO....I realized that I hate airports and I know that I will need to have a private jet ha! I can never get comfortable on planes.
- I was able to go home to ATL to visit my family
- I finally went to the Taste of Chicago! I'd been wanting to go there for two years.
- I finally went to Vegas! That was amazing...definitely need another trip there!
- I spent New Year's Eve with some of my great friends from Astoria!
- I had a fun summer for the most part going to day parties, meeting new friends, etc.
- I published my two books on Amazon (under a pen name which I have since unpublished)! The beginning of my career!
What went wrong in 2012:
- I left my apartment after living alone for 5 years and ended up in a much smaller cramped basement apartment that I ended up hating. I cried a lot missing my apartment in Astoria.
- I didn't save my target savings goal
- My book didn't sell millions so it created a lot of self doubt (I wanted an instant rise to stardom I suppose LOL)
- I got extra unwanted roommates in the apartment that I was renting and they made my stay miserable as hell
- I started my emotional roller-coaster feeling that I had completely lost myself.
Now let's look at 2013...
What went right in 2013:
- I moved from that basement apartment into an apartment that was more spacious and with a close friend of mine (it's in Brooklyn and I still miss Astoria....badly ha! I think I always will miss living there; its the best place to live in NY in my opinion.)
- I published two new books!
- I'm actually building a career and making money from it while I'm learning! ha!
- I went on my first cruise!! Amazing experience! Will definitely have to do it again....every year if possible!
- I cut my hair and love my new style....it totally fits my personality and I can always change it up! Loving it!
- I got a new laptop specifically for writing! (Don't sleep on QVC...I just learned about them this year and took advantage ha!)
- My ex finally stopped contacting me...geez!
- And...I met a guy that I really like hehehehe.....
Okay...what went wrong in 2013:
- I didn't stick to my publication plans for this year. I only published 2 books and my goal was 12. I wanted to publish something new once a month (minimum). But I was battling extreme self doubt after my first two books flopped and so it took me a few months to get my writing mojo back. I slowed down but I didn't quit!!!
- I encountered some major financial responsibilities that were both expected and unexpected which pretty much depleted the savings that I'd accumulated in 2012 and kept me from saving more this year.
- I haven't gotten back to doing some of the things that I did back in 2011 that kept me spiritually nourished and emotionally and mentally healthy.
- Still on an emotional roller-coaster......
What have I learned from these last two years?
I've learned that we all go through seasons and not every season is about us. My intention for moving out of my apartment and go back to having roommates was to save money so that I can travel more and eventually move from NY. Well it seems as if this season wasn't about me after all. But I believe everything happens for a reason. If I had not moved out of my apartment, I wouldn't have been in a financial position to help those that really needed me. Yes, it puts my goals and dream on hold a bit and yes, it has made me upset because the sole reason for me moving was not accomplished. But I have to remind myself that God trusts me to be in this position for a reason and the things that I'm going through, have gone through, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and financially are not in vain.
I've learned that the one thing that God is trying to work with me on is PATIENCE. This is my test which will eventually turn into my testimony. I'm grateful for these experiences. I'm learning what I don't like, what I don't want, what I'm willing to tolerate, how I prefer to be treated, how I prefer to live, what type of lifestyle I prefer to have, what career I want and what I need to improve on.
Everything is constantly and consistently working together for my good.
Stay Tuned to find out what I plan to do in 2014 to position myself for greater success and prosperity!