Thursday, May 21, 2009

ON YOUR MARK, GET SET....ACT!!!

Ok so let me catch you up on what's been going on. In January I got laid off after working for a non profit as an Executive Assistant for 3.5 years....boy was I relieved and scared at the same time! Relieved because I didn't have to go to a 9-5 everyday anymore...but scared because, well hey, I just lost my job!

To be honest, I've been wanting to get out of corporate America for the past nine years!! And God blessed me by laying me off. My goal was to work long enough full-time to save enough money to cover my expenses for a year and just get a part time job so that I could pursue my acting career full-time.

Well God had something else in mind! ha! So now my plan has changed. Since I am out of work I have the choice of not going back to work as an Executive Assistant full-time so I choose to work temp jobs.

I am registered with a few temp agencies so I can find short term assignments (but they haven't called me in for anything yet). So for the time being I'm making use of my extra time and loving the flexibility to pursue my dream!

I freelance here and there...and I do extra work when its available for a little extra change in my pocket.

Ideally I would love to get two extra roles a week (minimum) depending on the project I could make minimum $140 a week...can't beat that!

I would love to get into promotional work or something consistent yet still flexible other than bartend or waitress....hostess for private events or upscale events.....yes....coat check at trendy spots or upscale restaurants....yes! But I have noticed coming by these types of jobs are much easier when you know someone! So I am looking for someone that can pull me in! ha!

So I plan to just take this time to gain more marketable skills so that I can freelance more...and this when I thought about....VIDEO EDITING!! I would love to do that...I plan to get training this fall....doing the research now. I see ads looking for video editors everyday so I'm sure once I get the training I can find freelance job and/or an apprenticeship!

I'm taking acting classes (commercial classes) and going on auditions so really feeling good about things. My whole experience has been very positive and I'm truly grateful to have this opportunity to pursue my dream!

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment