Thursday, March 3, 2011

5 Ways To Make Affirmations Work For You!







In my last post I said that I would give you some suggestions on what you can do to help you to bypass the mental war that some of us have when we try to change our thought patterns by using affirmations.


Here are 5 ways I think may help to make using affirmations easier for you:


#1 Use Gratitude Statements


We've all heard the statement, "I'll believe it when I see it" well, we must do the opposite when we are expecting to manifest God's promises for us. Believing is seeing! Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours” (Mk 11:22, 24) 


Now with affirmations you have to believe that what you desire is possible despite current circumstances or what your reality tells you, and you have to feel as if what you desire is already received. Gratitude helps you with the "feeling" part. When you thank God (or the Universe, Subconscious Mind, etc) you are believing that what you desire is already being fulfilled. It helps to combat that negative voice when you say, "Thank you Lord that I am healthier every day. Thank you that my body is renewed and restored. You created me so you know exactly how to make me whole"; versus just repeating the phrase, "I am healthy"; especially if you are in pain or you just got those test results that say differently. 


Gratitude statements reinforces your belief in God as your ultimate Source and Supply, to take care of you, to provide for all your needs and fulfill your heart's desires; and it just feels GOOD!! (well at least it does to me!)


#2 Use Questions instead of Statements


Sometimes our mind respond better to questions vs. statements because our mind is a problem solver naturally. If someone asks you a question our mind automatically go searching for the answer. When you make statements such as "I am wealthy" or "I am now skinny", your mind shouts back at you with statements like "You are not wealthy, you are in debt" or  "you are over weight, your diets never work", etc. So to keep that from happening, or at least minimize the chance of that happening, you should ask yourself questions incorporating what it is that you desire. 


For instance you would say, "Why I am so physically fit?" or "Why am I am my ideal weight?" or "Why is it so easy for me to drop these 15 pounds?" Asking yourself questions will send your mind in search for the answer. What you focus on appears in your reality. So if your mind is focused on answering the question of "Why is it so easy for me to drop these 15 pounds?" then you will soon find the answer. Noah St. John calls this method the Afformation Method, you can find out more here


#3 Use Keywords 


So everyone desires wealth, abundance, perfect health, true love, prosperity...all of the great things in life. Well if you would spend time just focusing on those keywords then you will eventually manifest those specific things into your life. God delights in our prosperity and only wants the best for us. He wants us to live a life of abundance. Abundance is our birthright. So every morning, throughout the day, and at night, affirm with faith and expectancy, keywords of the things you desire most in your life. 


If you are constantly repeating to yourself these words, especially when doubt, fear or any negative thoughts or emotions rear its ugly head, your mind will not fight you on this. If you want beautiful clear skin you come up with keywords that you would use to describe that "idea of beauty" to you. For example, divine beauty, flawless, radiant, beautiful, even toned, blemish-free...those are words that I would immediately associate with beautiful, clear skin. You may like to consider all encompassing keywords like, divine beauty, divine guidance, perfect health, harmonic wealth, financially independent etc.


#4 Use specific phrases and change the wording to "I intend" vs "I am"


Make sure that your affirmations are specific. You may say, "I am getting better and better everyday"...but you're getting better everyday in what exactly? Better at being late for work, better at smoking more cigarettes a day...what are you getting better in? Try something like, "Every day I take one step closer to achieving my ultimate goals" or "Every day I am one step closer to being smoke free." These statements are now specific and action oriented.


So if saying  "I am __________" is hard for you to believe, then let's switch it up a little bit. Let's use "I intend" or "I choose" instead. For example, I intend to be wealthy, I choose wealth, I intend to take the necessary steps daily to gain wealth, I intend to live a wealthy lifestyle.


#5 Use the 3rd Person Subconscious Truth Verifier


You're probably like what in the world is that?! ha!! 


To be honest with you I often talk to myself in 3rd person...I don't know why...that's just the way I am. Anyway, I was reading online about the "3-Person Subconscious Truth-Verifier" concept.  This concept tells you to state your affirmations in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd person all at once.


For example:


"Every day I take one step closer to achieving my ultimate goals"


"Every day you take one step closer to achieving your ultimate goals"


"Every day Yogi takes one step closer to achieving her ultimate goals"


Here's the reason this is helpful:


"One, when you state the affirmation in the 1st person, you are affirming something which you yourself know to be true.

Two, when you state the affirmation in the 2nd person, you are feeding that part of your mind which needs outside opinion to help form what you see yourself as. A part of us needs someone to verify our worth, to praise us, to confirm outside what we believe inside. This helps to fill that need.

Three, when you state the affirmation in the 3rd person, you are also still feeding that need mentioned above, but taken to another level. This time, it's as if we are eavesdropping on other people's opinions about us."
-new-age-center.com





So there you have it folks!!! I hope this post was helpful to you....please let me know if you decide to read The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy and also let me know if any of these suggestions worked for you!


God Bless!!









1 comment:

  1. Lovely post Yolanda, loved this one, “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours” (Mk 11:22, 24). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete