Friday, November 5, 2010

For Colored Girls!





So I'm going to see Tyler Perry's new film, For Colored Girls! I'm always excited to see Tyler Perry's movies...not only because I love his movies but because me and my girls always get together to go see them...so it gives me an opportunity to see friends that sometimes I go months without seeing!


I'm expecting it to be good despite the negative reviews that I've read.

This movie is adapted from the 1975 play For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf  by Ntozake Shange. I read some of the play. Just wanted to get a feel for what the movie is suppose to be about. If you are not familiar with the play here's a brief synopsis from wiki-pedia:  

Structurally, For Colored Girls is a series of 20 poems, collectively called a "choreopoem." It is performed by a cast of seven women characters, each of whom is known only by a color: "Lady in Yellow," "Lady in Purple," etc. The poems deal with love, abandonment, rape, and abortion, embodied by each woman's story, i.e. Lady in Blue's visceral account of a woman who chooses to have an abortion, and Lady in Red's tale of domestic violence. The end of the play brings together all of the women for "a laying on of hands," in which Shange evokes the power of womanhood as the Lady in Red begins the mantra "I found God in myself/and I loved her/I loved her fiercely."

So we'll see how the movie is!! I'll let you now!

Stay Blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment