Wednesday, April 10, 2013

National Poetry Month Challenge: Not Goodnight But Goodbye




Hey Peeps!! Day 10!

I remember the incident that made me right this poem soooo many years ago. I was 16, and I had went out on a date with a guy that I had a major crush on. And for some reason after that date, I knew that I would not be going on a second date with him. I was a "good" girl back then and he was into playing games, although I liked him a lot, I wasn't gonna be strung along. 

Anyhoo.....I remember after we kissed an episode of Moesha (the singer Brandy's sitcom) played in my mind when she had said to her boyfriend, why does this feel like a goodbye? I felt like that after I kissed him. So it gave me the idea for the poem.

:-)

Stay Blessed...Stay Tuned!


Not Goodnight But Goodbye


Why does this feel like a goodbye?
Like the life has just drained from me
I am numb to your touch
Has your love set my heart free?

When did our words go so silent?
When did we take the wrong turn?
It’s like your kisses are left in the dark
And our fire no longer burn

Why does this feel like a goodbye?
Like my heart has turned so cold
Our memories are starting to erase
It reminds me of the poem, Arctic Soul

The space between us is getting wider
The air…the air, I can barely stand to breathe
When did our birds stop singing?
When did our days become so cloudy?

I used to wonder how deep was your love?
If I could trust what I saw in your eyes
But now my emotions just slip through my fingers
As my lips say goodnight, my heart says goodbye


Copyright © 2012 by Yolanda Allen. All rights reserved worldwide. Poem from book Life's Journey


No comments:

Post a Comment