Monday, April 15, 2013

National Poetry Month Challenge: Catching Up



Okay so I missed a few days, I shall make no excuses ha!

But here are poems from the days that I missed

Days 12-14


Arctic Soul


Someone come put your arms around me
I’m standing in a place so cold
So cold, ice can form in my mouth
It’s freezing my soul
My heart can’t pump enough blood
Through my body to thaw it out
My heart is so icy right now
I don’t know if it’ll ever defrost
My face is red with pain
My ears are bursting from the cold
My spirit is so passionless
It’s freezing my soul



The Letter


I received a letter today
A letter from my fiancée
Saying that he wasn’t in love anymore
For six months now I wasn’t who he’s been caring for
He left to visit his mom six months ago
It was only supposed to be for two weeks though
He called everyday especially the first week
After a month less and less he called me
I had his mom’s number. I called every now and then
Same story every time, “he just stepped out with his friends”
“Could you tell him to call when he gets home?”
“I’ll give him the message” then there’s the dial tone
The only ring that came from him was the one on my hand
I had no answers for his actions, I couldn’t understand
In that letter that I received today
The one from my fiancée
It said that most of the time he was home dodging my calls
He’s not in love, he’s not coming back, and that’s all



2:00am


Who is calling at this time?
The caller ID say “private call”
Somebody must have something important to say
Calling at 2:00 am and all

There was a deep voice on the other line
A voice familiar to my ear
Hey, what’s on your mind? I asked
“I just had some words I wanted you to hear”

I really don’t have much to say
“Okay but I have something to talk about”
I don’t know if I want to listen
“Please just give me some time to talk it out”

It’s 2:00 am, this couldn’t have waited?
“I wanted to apologize to you”
“I didn’t do that when I wrote you last”
“When I visited my mom, I ran into someone old but new”

“I got caught up and didn’t know how to react”
“Old feelings started to flow into my heart again”
“I couldn’t call so I wrote the letter instead”
“I didn’t know how to tell you I wanted the relationship to end”

“I just wanted to apologize for treating you that way”
“I just want us to try to get over it”
“I know this may be hard for you, but…”
Don’t worry I can forgive, even if I don’t forget


Copyright © 2012 by Yolanda Allen. All rights reserved worldwide. Poem from book Life's Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment